Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Doing development the proper way (forms11gr2, weblogic)
Doing development the proper way [message #561557] Mon, 23 July 2012 18:24 Go to next message
The new Guy
We are currently upgrading forms6i to 11gr2. What is the best approach in conducting development (doing maintenance releases every 3-5 months) in a forms10g or 11G (pretty much the same..I think)

Weblogic is also installed localy, but I do not think we will be using it anymore, since our server is Linux and we have encountered so many differences in unix vs windows that developping in windows seems like a waste of time. Many forms require code that only works on the server.
e.g. when we generate reports in pdf we need to generate them on the server then use webutil copy from server function to transfer to c:\ and conduct other things after....but that code would not work in windows.

We where thinking of having about 4 section in formsweb.cfg (so that developpers do not disturb other developpers code/testing)
[main app]
forms=../dev/main.fmx

[dev1]
form=../dev1/main.fmx

[dev2]
form=../dev2/main.fmx

[dev3]
form=../dev3/main.fmx

e.g. developper #1
When he is coding , he can test locally if the compile works, but after needs to ftp is code to the unix server, under /dev1
From there he can compile all the code and call it via
http//.....frmsrvlet/?config=dev1

when all developers have done their unit testing we can recompile all the code (of all dev) and place it in the /dev
in order to conduct system testing. Then run the system http//.....frmsrvlet/?config=dev

Once all that is tested then we can send our code on the test server and conduct UAT. (/test)

we use ms MSsourcesafe as our source code tracker.

Does all this make sense?...easier ways to conduct development.

Any help /tips would be appreciated.

Re: Doing development the proper way [message #561692 is a reply to message #561557] Tue, 24 July 2012 14:26 Go to previous message
The new Guy
We have about 40 forms, 60 reports...

We did the change so that our developpers could work side by side on unix....but after a couple of ours we determined that this was not possible.

why???
because, the same code resides in the different folders
e.g.
/dev1/code/frm_main.fmx...
/dev2/code/frm_main.fmx...

Reports_path and forms_path in various cfg files were updated to include
:/dev1/code:/dev2/code:...

but at runtime, oracle goes through the paths and finds the filename in the first folder it sees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So /dev1 was compiling and running his code, then got /dev4 code since dev4 was first in the path.

So I'm running out of ideas...

How to setup unix server in order to be able to conduct development.???

any ideas
Previous Topic: Read Exteranal file Data at a time like bulk collect concept
Next Topic: Forms 10g Direct Print Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 04 16:03:34 CDT 2024