Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Printing PDF directly (Forms 11gr2 linux 64 bit)
Printing PDF directly [message #563765] Thu, 16 August 2012 19:46
The new Guy
In the process of upgrading from 6i client server winxp to 11gr2 linux 64bit...its lots of fun...lol
Client/dev workstation stays win xp 32 bit

just encountered another problem...
Some of our reports are displayed in pdf format in browser then printed manually...that works ok.
but some reports need to get printed directly. I was amaze when the Oracle tech support told me that this is not possible unless you install and manage your printers on unix... this is NOT possible. (many users, many printers)
So we found a workaround...works ok...but

We generate our reports to file in pdf on unix server
then we do webutil copy command from server to client
then use client_host 'cmd /c acrord32.exe file.pdf printername=tray1' to print.
the hic, is that adobe stays open, since you cannot close it from the command line.
and sometime we have 2 reports that will print one after the other...and on different trays, and since Adobe stays open , it does print the second print job but to the initial printer, not the printer name specified in the second call.

we created dummy printer drivers like
xerox printer that defaults to tray1 is now called 'tray1'
added the same printer drive and defaulted it to tray 2 and called it...'tray2'
...'tray3'
and 'tray4'
We have plain white paper, nice certificate paper, paper with letter head & legal..we need 4 trays

is there a nice way to kill adobe once its done printing the first print.
then start the next one...without doing a pause of secs...this is to flacky for production environments.

Or use another process to print PDF.

thank guys
Previous Topic: SQL script
Next Topic: PB_CANCEL masterbutton
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 04 15:44:50 CDT 2024