Home » Server Options » Streams & AQ » Database link on Oracle Streams (Oracle 10g on HPUX)
Database link on Oracle Streams [message #293815] Tue, 15 January 2008 03:00 Go to next message
LaFilipina
Hi All,

I am pretty new to Oracle streams and I tried to set up a one-way replication between two servers and I got a couple of question about this.

1 - Instance A is the source and instance B is the target db. Database link was created on instance A to connect to instance B (b.some.domain.com). As a test, I didn't turn the global_names on. To my surprise, the oracle streams worked. DML and DDL changes flowed from A to B without problem. How is it possible? I thought I read from Oracle document that global_names be turned on is needed for oracle streams to work?

2 - I changed the password of the connect to user of the database link. I modified the database link as well and made sure that connection is working. I tested via Toad. Although the database is working as it is, Oracle streams didn't seem to recognize the change and kept on giving me an error that database link is broken. How can I fix this?

Thanks!
LaFilipina
Re: Database link on Oracle Streams [message #296052 is a reply to message #293815] Thu, 24 January 2008 06:48 Go to previous message
Mohammad Taj

Oracle Recommended to set GLOBAL_NAMES=true becuase "GLOBAL_NAMES specifies whether a database link is required to have the same name as the database to which it connects."

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/initparams077.htm#sthref316

I changed the password of the connect to user of the database link. I modified the database link as well and made sure that connection is working. I tested via Toad. Although the database is working as it is, Oracle streams didn't seem to recognize the change and kept on giving me an error that database link is broken. How can I fix this?
>>Did you recreate database link on both sides.?
Previous Topic: Mail based on Apply Error
Next Topic: streams not functional, but no errors in capture/propagate/apply views
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:52:35 CDT 2024