DbForge Schema Compare for Oracle Product Review
dbForge Schema Compare for Oracle is a comprehensive tool for database schema comparison and synchronization that can be used both by application developers and database administrators (DBAs). This Oracle comparison tool helps identifying the impact of changes made to the database schema by easily pointing out all differences and allowing to generate customized Oracle schema synchronization script.
The last version 4.0 was released on August 21, 2018. The update delivered significantly improved and new implemented features such as Oracle Database 18c connectivity support, support for Oracle 12c objects, multiple Schema comparison options and Schema synchronization options. Support for TEMPORARY TABLE, expanded Comparison Reports functionality, automatic selection of comparison key for object without equal unique indexes, improved visual style of tool, command line execution file wizard, trial product activation, support for PowerShell, FIPS compliance, specific exit codes were added as well.
What tasks does it solve?
Using dbForge Schema Compare for Oracle, Oracle developers and DBAs can:
- Compare and synchronize Oracle database schemas
- Analyze an impact of application upgrades on a database
- Generate schema comparison reports in Excel and HTML formats
- Eliminate mistakes in schema changes propagation across the environments
- Track production database changes and customizations
- Export Oracle schema to SQL
- Generate SQL*Plus script to update one schema to match another
- Make schema snapshots for savepoints in database development process
- Automate migration of schema changes using command line interface
- Improve Oracle schema versioning using source control integration
Full feature list
Supported Oracle server versions
- Oracle 18c, 12c, 11g, 10g, and 9i databases
- Express Edition (Oracle XE) 11 R2, 10 databases
- Snapshots of schemas (of all Oracle versions listed above)
- Can work without Oracle client (Oracle Direct connection)
- Oracle on Amazon RDS
Supported schema objects
- Array type
- Database link
- DML trigger
- Java source
- Materialized view
- Materialized view log
- Object type
- Table type
- XML schema
What else can be compared and synchronized?
- User comments on schema objects
- Per-object security permissions
- Multiple Oracle schemas
PL/SQL code comparison features
- Ignore white spaces and comments in code
- Ignore differences in identifier and keyword case
- Compare wrapped and unwrapped PL/SQL objects
How can I analyze comparison results?
- Filter, group, and sort objects in results
- View DDL differences for each pair of objects
- Preview schema update script for each object
- Generate schema comparison report in Excel and HTML formats
- Create accurate synchronization scripts
- Migrate any schema differences (individual, selected, or all)
- Dependency check to script objects in the correct order for updates
- Automatic resolving of synchronization issues
- Warnings on controversial points prior to synchronization
How can I automate my routine tasks?
- Save comparison project settings for future use
- Use command line interface for automatic routine synchronizations
Schema snapshots and version control integration
- Create schema snapshots for audit and roll-back purposes
- Automatically commit snapshots to version control system
- Compare previous versions of schema with current one (source control integration)
To install the tool, it is necessary to double-click the exe file and follow the prompts in the wizard. The tool can be upgraded using the built-in wizard. If a new version is available on the Devart website, you are automatically prompted about it when you start the tool.
dbForge Schema Compare for Oracle helps comparing database schemas, analyze differences between them, and synchronize these schemas.
Comparing database schemas
- Click New Schema Comparison on the product Start Page to open New Schema Comparison Wizard.
- Specify Type for Source and Target, Connection, and select the database schemas you want to compare in the Schema Mapping area.
- Set comparison options and define the objects you want to compare on other wizard pages.
- Click Compare to start the comparison process.
Analyzing comparison results
Comparison results are represented as a schema comparison document, where you can:
- Group and filter the results in the grid.
- See SQL differences of compared objects in the text comparer under the grid.
- Change update operations and include or exclude objects from synchronization directly in the grid.
Synchronizing database schemas
- To open Schema Synchronization Wizard, click Synchronize... on the toolbar.
- On the Output wizard page, select what you want to do with the Oracle synchronization script.
- Check the dependencies and issues, if any.
- Review action plan and warnings.
- Click Synchronize.
- Run the generated synchronization script by clicking F5 or save it for further usage.
Price and availability
The product is available in two editions: Standard and Professional.
Standard is a software that includes essential tools for schema comparison and synchronization. Professional is a fully-featured software able to complete any schema comparison and synchronization tasks and provide the best professional tricks to simplify your database management. Each edition is also available in dbForge Compare Bundle for Oracle that also includes dbForge Data Compare for Oracle. dbForge Schema Compare for Oracle license price starts at $199.95.
- 30-day fully-functional product trial
- 30-day money-back guarantee policy
- free 1-year subscription for updates and technical support
If you have any problems with the product or questions concerning it, you can send an e-mail to email@example.com or write them at the company forum, and you will be answered shortly. Also you are welcome to provide feedback and take part in different surveys, as well as send us suggestions concerning the product development.
With a clear GUI and simple logic, dbForge Schema Compare for Oracle is one of the most reliable tools for Oracle schema comparison and synchronization that can be applied by a wide range of people dealing with Oracle databases to accelerate application development, lower its lifecycle costs, reduce application downtime, eliminate errors during database upgrades, and increase the application development efficiency in general.